Preceding Confederation Kivas Tully held the post of architect to the Provincial Lunatic Asylum and created this unsigned plan which contemplates symmetrical wings added south of architect John Howard's original building. It shows too the Crystal Palace and other livestock pens in the Exhibition Grounds just beyond the asylum's garden wall. The wings were erected approximately as shown in 1866-68, while the Crystal Palace was dismantled in 1879 and re-erected in the new Industrial Exhibition Grounds east of Dufferin Street between the Toronto-Hamilton rail corridor and Lake Ontario.
Click the map to view a full size version.
Provincial Lunatic Asylum Plan of the Grounds Showing the Buildings, Drainage, and Approaches, 1863
by Kivas Tully
Image courtesy of Archives of Ontario, DPW collection, Job #411 BP.2, Drawing No.8, File 4.35.2
Next map: 1889 Important Sale - Freehold Property
Back to: The Lunatic Asylum