1841 Biscoe: No. 1. New Barrack Establishment, Toronto, as completed.

All that's left of the 'New Fort' today is the stone-built Officers' Barracks that sits forlornly in the middle of a parking lot at Exhibition Place. Since 1893 the New Fort has been known as the Stanley Barracks after Lord Stanley of Preston, the Governor General who donated the Stanley Cup the preceding year.

The New Fort was built on a smaller scale than planned only a few years earlier. In the interim the authorities seem to have dropped any plan to replace the Old Fort with the New one, and intended to operate the two in tandem. This may be inferred from the concurrent construction in 1838 of a large soldiers' barrack within the Old Fort.  Also note the substitution of an eight-foot high cedar fence around the New Fort for the ramparts and dry moat shown in the 1833 plan. The New Fort was assigned a subsidiary defensive role.

Click the map to view a full size version.

Map: 1841 Biscoe: New Barrack Establishment, Toronto, as Completed

New Barrack Establishment, Toronto, as Completed
by Captain Vincent Biscoe of the Royal Engineers, December 2, 1841.
Image courtesy Library and Archives Canada NMC5394

Next map: 1846 Gray: Toronto, C.W. Sketch shewing the Harbour, and Ordnance Property with the Encroachments...
Back to: The New Fort (Stanley Barracks)