Click the map to view a full-size version:
Plan of Fort at York, Upper Canada, shewing its state in March 1816. [Sgd] Royl. Engineers Drawg Room, Quebec 16th Feby 1816, J. B. Duberger, Junr. Quebec, 24th June 1816, G. Nicolls, Lt. Col. Rl. Engineers
Image courtesy Library and Archives Canada: NMC 23139
Winearls, MUC no. 2039 (2)
When the Fort was eventually transferred in 1909 to the City of Toronto, it was on condition “that the site of the Old Fort . . . shall, as far as possible, be restored to its original condition as shown on the attached copy of a plan of it, prepared by G. Nicolls, Government Engineer, and dated Quebec, 24th June, 1816, and that the same shall be preserved and maintained in such condition forever.”
Nicolls’ plan is thus invaluable to our understanding of the modern Fort as a physical representation of our past.
Next map: 1842 Biscoe: Plan of Fort
Back to: ‘Old’ Fort York